Dried tomatoes are a classic Mediterranean snack. Previously, they were cooked outdoors under the scorching sun. In our latitudes, it is impossible to cook such sun-dried tomatoes, but modern technology comes to the rescue: an electric dryer, microwave or oven.
Tomatoes can be baked and dried, it depends on the shrinkage of the product. The difference lies in the fact that baked tomatoes are cooked in only 1-3 hours and retain their meatiness. Cooking sun-dried tomatoes takes at least 4 hours, but it is better to cook them for 6-7 hours, during which time they dry well in the oven.
Sun-dried tomatoes are a great treat and delicacy. The product is good on its own, but it can also be added to any dishes for variety.
Step by step cooking sundried tomatoes
Ingredients needed to make Sun Dried Tomatoes:
- fleshy small tomatoes – 15 pcs.;
- garlic – 3 cloves;
- fresh rosemary – 2 sprigs;
- olive oil – depending on the capacity.
The sequence of cooking sun-dried tomatoes at home:
- Rinse the tomatoes, cut each vegetable into quarters. Cut out the seeds and the entire middle.
- Place the meaty parts in the oven or vegetable dryer for 8 hours. The required temperature is 55 degrees Celsius. The drying time may be reduced or extended depending on the size and variety of tomatoes. Lay the tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Peel the garlic from the husk, divide each clove into 2 parts.
- Tomatoes are important to keep properly and beautifully. To do this, take a clean, dry jar, put sun-dried tomatoes in it with the first layer, add a few halves of garlic and rosemary. Lay out, alternating all the ingredients.
- Drizzle dried tomatoes with olive oil.
For the preparation of sun-dried tomatoes, it is better to take fleshy, rather than watery varieties. Otherwise, only a dry skin will remain from the tomatoes. You can take cream tomatoes, cherry tomatoes or small round tomatoes.
During the drying process, tomatoes can be sprinkled with spices immediately. From this, their taste characteristics will not deteriorate. With tomatoes, it is better to send dried herbs to the oven so that they have time to reveal their taste and aroma, and fresh spices can be added at the last stage – immediately into the jar.
Store sun-dried tomatoes in the refrigerator or in a cool, dark place. Tomatoes can only be taken out with a clean, dry spoon or fork, otherwise the product will become moldy.
Sun-dried tomato pesto
Pesto is a versatile product that can be added to pasta or lasagna, mixed with sauces, added to scrambled eggs. Pesto can be used instead of the classic tomato sauce on pizza, added to sandwiches, pita bread rolls. The dish will allow you to play with the usual salad with new colors and even complement the soup. Sun-dried tomato pesto pairs well with grilled meats, poultry, and fish.
The following ingredients are required for cooking:
- sun-dried tomatoes – 200 g;
- pine nuts – 70 g;
- garlic – 1 clove;
- basil – 15 g;
- hard cheese – 80 g
- olive oil – 120 ml.
Steps to make Sun Dried Tomato Pesto:
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes on a fine grater or with a food processor
- Finely chop the basil.
- Peel the garlic.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, garlic, cheese and basil in a blender. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- The consistency of the pesto should be pasty. If the sauce is too thick, add more olive oil and beat again.
Place the sauce in a dry, clean jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to 21 days. Bon appetit!
Zucchini with Sun Dried Tomatoes
Baked zucchini is a simple appetizer that will decorate your everyday and festive table. Due to the crumbs of baked bread, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts, the dish is unique and original, adults and children will definitely like it.
Required ingredients for cooking:
- young zucchini – 1.2 kg;
- bread crumb – 70 g;
- thyme – 12 g;
- sun-dried tomatoes – 70 g;
- pine nuts – 25 g;
- olive oil – 50 ml;
- salt – to taste;
- ground black pepper – to taste.
It is better to take whole grain or rye bread, with a deep aroma and bright taste.
Sequence of cooking:
- Rinse the zucchini and pat dry with paper towels. Cut lengthwise into 2 pieces, remove seeds and cut into medium-sized half rings.
- Transfer the crumb of bread to a blender, add fresh thyme leaves and sun-dried tomatoes. Grind to a homogeneous consistency.
- In the resulting mass, add olive oil (a tablespoon) and pine nuts. To stir thoroughly.
- Grease a baking sheet with a little oil, put a mixture of bread, tomatoes and nuts on it, level it. Add salt and pepper.
- Mix chopped zucchini with a tablespoon of olive oil, add pepper and salt. Lay them out on a separate baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven, preheated to 180 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Get the baked zucchini, sprinkle with bread crumbs with sun-dried tomatoes.
The dish is healthy and tasty. Suitable for people who adhere to proper nutrition, as it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals. Enjoy!
Bulgur with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes
Bulgur is a healthy cereal that contains most of the necessary vitamins and minerals. The composition contains folic acid, vitamin A and E, B vitamins, as well as iron, sodium, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, potassium, calcium, manganese and zinc. With all its positive qualities, bulgur contains a minimum amount of carbohydrates. Groats are nutritious and healthy, so be sure to include it in the diet of adults and children.
The use of bulgur listens to the work of the cardiovascular system, helps to reduce the amount of sugar in the blood. Coarse grinding has a low glycemic index, promotes the rapid breakdown of fats. Therefore, bulgur should be in the diet of people with metabolic disorders or those seeking to lose weight.
Necessary components for cooking:
- bulgur – 200 g;
- sun-dried tomatoes – 170 g;
- champignons – 250 g;
- garlic – 5 cloves;
- spices – to taste;
- pure water – 400 ml.
- In a frying pan, heat a small amount of olive oil from sun-dried tomatoes.
- Peel the garlic cloves from the husk, chop with a sharp knife or with a press.
- Fry the garlic in a pan until golden brown.
- Wash mushrooms, cut into large cubes or slices.
- Cut sun-dried tomatoes into several pieces.
- Add tomatoes and champignons to the garlic, fry over medium heat until the mushrooms begin to release juice.
- Add bulgur to the pan, mix the cereal with mushrooms and tomatoes thoroughly. Fry, stirring constantly. Bulgur should soak in the mushroom juice, this will take a few minutes.
- Add water to the pan, stir gently and reduce heat to low. Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. A few minutes before cooking, add salt and spices to taste.
The dish is prepared quickly and simply, but this does not detract from its taste. Bulgur with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes is a healthy lunch or dinner. Bon appetit!
Chicken rolls with mozzarella, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes
Chicken rolls are a quick recipe with ingredients that can be found in the kitchen of almost every housewife. The constituent components can be changed, add something new, depending on taste preferences.
Ingredients needed for cooking:
- spinach – 120 g;
- ricotta cheese – 230 g;
- sun-dried tomatoes – 130 g;
- chicken fillet – 2 kg;
- Mozzarella cheese – 220 g;
- olive oil – 40 ml;
- oregano – to taste;
- salt – to taste;
- ground black pepper – to taste.
- Wash and dry spinach.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, ricotta and spinach in a blender. Beat the mass until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Rinse the chicken fillet, remove excess films, dry with a paper towel. Cut into two identical pieces.
- Cover each piece of fillet with cling film, beat with a hammer. Cling film is essential to keep the work area clean.
- Season the minced meat with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Top each chop with cheese, spinach and sun-dried tomato pasta.
- Put one ball of mozzarella on top of the filling.
- Twist the chop into a roll and secure with a toothpick or wooden skewer.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil, put the rolls on it. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Remove toothpicks from rolls before serving. As a side dish, you can serve mashed potatoes, your favorite cereal, spaghetti or vegetable salad. Enjoy!