Lenten dumplings with fried sauerkraut are considered an old dish that was traditionally served in Rus’. As a basis, dough on water with a small addition of vegetable oil is used. As a rule, store dumplings dough is prepared in this way. The base should be soft and elastic. to make it easy to work with. We will prepare the filling from sauerkraut, which should be lightly fried. Sauerkraut has a pronounced sour taste. To balance it, a small amount of sugar is necessarily added to the composition of the filling.
Cabbage goes well with onions, which should also be included in the filling. If desired, fried mushrooms can be added to the composition. It will turn out very tasty too. In addition, this filling is ideal for fasting and at the same time perfectly saturates. Serve lean dumplings with vegetable oil, fried onions, ketchup. After boiling, they can be fried. In this case, it is not necessary to supplement the dish with sauce.
Lean dumplings with fried sauerkraut: health benefits
Nutritionists have a negative attitude towards dough dishes. After all, they contain a large amount of flour. But if you include whole grain flour in the dough, then the benefits of dumplings immediately increase. Sauerkraut filling is considered a source of organic acids that bind free radicals that destroy cells. It is rich in vitamin C. Therefore, dumplings with cabbage will help strengthen the immune system and maintain health in the spring and autumn.
If desired, dried herbs or greens can be included in the filling. But it is better if dumplings are sprinkled with herbs when serving. So it will be possible to keep all the useful substances in it. We will prepare the dough for dumplings on our own. In this case, you should know certain subtleties. Add water to the flour gradually, stirring well each time. As a result, the base should be smooth and incredibly soft.
- Water – 380 ml;
- Wheat flour – 650 g;
- Salt – ¼ tsp;
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp. in the dough + 2 tbsp. for frying cabbage;
- Sauerkraut – 500 g;
- Onion – 1 head;
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Sift wheat flour into a deep cup, add a little salt and water to it. Knead the dough, gradually adding water. At the very end, add vegetable oil. We roll the finished base into a ball, wrap it with cling film and leave for 20 minutes. Then we take it out, knead it again with our hands and leave it. It is desirable to repeat the procedure 2-3 times;
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan. Fry the diced onion in it. When the onion becomes soft and transparent, spread the cabbage to it. Simmer over medium or low heat for about 20-25 minutes. Stir the cabbage occasionally. At the very end, add a pinch of sugar, mix. Let the filling cool completely.
- Roll out the dough in layers. Using a glass, we make round blanks, inside of which we lay out a sufficient amount of filling. We pinch the edges;
- Boil the finished dumplings in a sufficient amount of boiling water for about 3-4 minutes. When the products float to the top, they are ready. So you can get them, put them on plates and serve them to the table.