Do you love Italian cuisine? Try the delicious braciolone Sicilian veal roll. We guarantee everyone will be delighted. The dish belongs to the recipes of the average level in terms of complexity, but the result is worth the effort.
Sicilian roll step by step
Ingredients for a culinary miracle:
- Calf shoulder blade tenderloin – 1 pc.;
- Tomato sauce seasoned with basil – 1 can;
- Parmesan cheese – 100 gr.;
- Sweet Bulgarian yellow peppers – 3 pcs.;
- Sweet mustard – 1 tbsp. l.;
- Garlic powder – 1 tbsp. l.;
- Mixture of dried Italian herbs – 1 tbsp. l.;
- Water – 100 ml;
- Salt, black pepper – as you prefer.
Household magic in terms of experience and skills:
- Wash the peppers and pat dry with paper towels. Then cut into quarters and remove the partitions and seeds.
- Bake under a hot grill until characteristic black marks appear. Transfer to a bowl. Tighten with film. Waiting for it to cool down. Carefully remove the skin.
- Cut the cut lengthwise down the center. It is not necessary to reach the edge at a distance of about 2 cm.
- Now both parts must be cut so that you get a single layer. This can be achieved by placing a long knife strictly parallel to the surface at a height of 2 cm from the bottom of the left half of the meat tenderloin. Each one must not be cut by 2 cm, the piece must be turned back and continue to work.
- After the left half is completely flattened on the board, do the same with the right. The meat should be slightly beaten off. Then pepper, salt and lightly grease with mustard. Then mix the herbs with garlic powder. Sprinkle on top.
- Now you need to put the peppers on the tenderloin on the meat. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- We roll the workpiece into a tight roll. We fasten with culinary twine.
- Preheat the oven to 130°C.
- I put the roll into shape. Add 100 ml of water and a third of the sauce. The rest we coat the workpiece on top.
- We send it to the heat for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Pour water into the mold if it has evaporated.
- Serve hot, cut into portions and sprinkled with finely chopped herbs.
What is delicious to serve braciolone with? Meatloaf for satiety and a more delicious dinner or lunch should be served with the right side dishes. Here, too, there are a lot of nuances and subtleties.
We list the most winning options:
- Potatoes: mashed, boiled with butter, baked with spices for potatoes or meat, cutlets from this vegetable, you can with cabbage or other fillings;
- Cabbage varieties “Broccoli” or “Beijing”: best for a couple;
- Glazed Carrots: You will need a frying pan, grated carrots, refined vegetable oil, garlic, and brown sugar. It will be more useful if you bake it in the oven;
- Oven-fried small pieces of Brussels sprouts;
- Deep-fried onion rings;
- Salad or sliced \u200b\u200bfresh vegetables;
- Braised cabbage, especially in a pot or in a slow cooker with bacon, onions, garlic, carrots and meat broth;
- Pasta with cheese;
- Baked beans;
- Grilled vegetables;
- pasta or noodles;
- Delicious cheese rolls.
You can also diversify this dish with a variety of meat sauces and gravies with suitable spices. The main thing is not to deviate much from the original recipe and not to overdo it with their variety and quantity, so as not to spoil the original taste and aroma of the Sicilian braciolone roll.
For decoration, finely chopped greens are quite suitable. Absolutely whatever you like. You can also decorate with vegetable decorations. They are easy to cut with your own hands.
You can sprinkle with cheese on a coarse grater and garnish with cherry tomatoes. Such a dish can be offered to guests or put on a festive table.
1. PREPARE THE FILLING: Using a frying pan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Reduce heat to low. Add bread crumbs, stirring constantly, cook until breadcrumbs are lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in Pecorino cheese, currants, parsley, and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. ASSEMBLE THE BRACIOLE: Lay the meat flat on a work surface. Divide the breadcrumb mixture equally and spread over the meat, leaving a little space along the edges. Place the prosciutto on top, then place two mortadella halves on top, and the salami. Place a piece of cheese and a piece of egg along the bottom of the short end of the meat closest to you and roll the meat over the filling like a jelly roll, until the filling is completely encased. Secure the seam and both ends with toothpicks or tie with butcher’s twine.
3. MAKE THE SAUCE AND COOK THE BRACIOLE: Using a large covered casserole or Dutch-oven, heat the olive oil over high heat. Brown the meat rolls and transfer onto a plate. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add the onion and cook about 4 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, wine, sugar, and 3/4 cups water. Stir to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Cover and bring the sauce to a boil. Add the meat rolls, basil, bay leaf, and nutmeg. Reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir occasionally while cooking. Add additional water, as necessary, to thin the sauce. It should not be too thick. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until meat is tender.
Enjoy your meal!