Fish pie is a versatile dish that is perfect as a hearty dinner, as well as one of the dishes of a festive banquet.
To prepare the perfect fish pie according to the recipe, a few tips that we have collected in this article will help you:
- Before cleaning the fish, soak it for half an hour in cold water.
- Red and white fish are suitable for making fish pie. For example, trout, pink salmon, sturgeon, hake or pike perch.
- As a dough for a fish pie, yeast or puff pastry is perfect.
- In the filling, the fish goes well with mushrooms, herbs, cheese, onions, boiled rice or buckwheat.
- You can cook open and closed fish pies, however, in a closed fish, the fish will turn out more juicy and tasty, as it will not dry out.
- Before baking the cake, do not forget to pierce the surface of the dough with a fork or make a hole in the middle of the cake so that excess steam comes out.
- Do not slam the oven door when baking the fish cake, otherwise the dough may settle.
Fish pie with pink salmon
You will need:
- Flour – 600 g;
- Water – 300 ml;
- Butter – 120 g;
- Dry yeast – 2 teaspoons;
- Pink salmon fillet – 600 g;
- Egg – 1 pc.;
- Bow – 2 pcs.;
- Potatoes – 3 pcs.;
- Sunflower oil – 3 tablespoons;
- Parsley, black pepper and salt – according to taste preferences.
- Knead the dough. To do this, sift flour into a bowl with a sieve, add butter, a pinch of salt and an egg, knead with your hands. Add yeast. Then gradually adding warm water, knead the dough with a spoon. Place the bowl of dough in a warm, draft-free place, cover with a towel. The dough will rise and rise in about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the fish filling. Gut the defrosted pink salmon, cut off the head, fins and tail, cut lengthwise into two halves, remove the spine and all visible bones. Then peel the meat from the skin and cut into small cubes. Add salt, spices and chopped parsley.
- Peel the onion, wash and cut into small cubes. Fry until translucent in hot sunflower oil. Mix with fish.
- Peel the potatoes, wash and grate on a coarse grater.
- Divide the risen dough into two parts. Roll out, place in shape. Put the potatoes on the dough so that there is about 1 cm of empty dough around the edges. Salt and add pepper. Put the fish stuffing in the next layer.
- Roll out a smaller part of the dough, make a hole in it in the middle for steam to escape.
- Cover the pie with pastry, pinching the edges of the two layers of pastry with your hands. The cake should rest for 30 minutes. Turn on the oven at 190 degrees 15 minutes before cooking.
- Cook the pie for 45-50 minutes.
- The cake will be delicious both warm and cold. Bon appetit!
Fish Pie: Recipe with Rice
Fish pie according to this recipe can be prepared with any fish: sea and river, red and white, fresh or thawed.
For the test you will need:
- Flour – up to 1 kg;
- Milk – 800 ml;
- Fresh yeast – 30 g;
- Eggs – 2 pieces;
- Sour cream – 100 ml;
- Salt – a quarter of a teaspoon;
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon.
- Fish fillet – 600 g;
- Onions – 3 pieces;
- Rice – 1 cup;
- Butter – 100 g;
- Sunflower oil – 2 tablespoons;
- Salt, pepper – according to taste preferences.
To grease the dough:
- Egg – 1 pc.
The cooking process includes the following steps:
- Make dough. To do this, put the yeast in warm milk and stir until it dissolves. Whisk eggs with salt. Add egg mixture and sugar to milk. Gradually adding the sifted flour, knead the dough.
- At the end of mixing, add sour cream. The dough will be soft but not sticky. Cover the bowl with the dough with a towel and leave to proof in a warm, draft-free place. Knead the risen dough again with your hands and put it back in the proofer.
- Prepare the filling for the pie. Clean the scales from the fish, gut, cut off the head, tail and fins. Remove the spine and any visible bones. Fillet and cut into small pieces. Salt and pepper the fish.
- Rinse rice 5-6 times in cold water, cook until cooked.
- Peel the onion, cut into thin half rings.
- Cut the dough in half. Roll out with a rock.
- Line the baking dish you plan to bake the cake with parchment paper. Lay out the rolled dough, place the filling on it so that there is an empty dough of 1 cm around the edges. Lay out the layers of the filling in this order: rice, fish, pieces of butter, spices, onions.
- Roll out the dough and cover the pie with it, make sides along the edges, pinching two layers of dough together. Poke a few holes in the top of the dough with a fork to keep it from rising during baking.
- Spread the dough with whipped protein using a silicone brush.
- Send to the oven preheated to 180 degrees for 45-50 minutes. If the top of the pie is reddening ahead of time, then cover it with a damp sheet of paper.
Cover the finished cake with a cotton towel and let it brew for 15 minutes. Serve on the table.