Keto recipes come with some restrictions. To maintain ketosis, the diet is built on low-carb foods enriched with healthy fats and a small amount of protein. At the same time, it is forbidden to eat cereals with bakery products, as well as sweets and most fruits. Incredibly, gourmets and sweet tooth can diversify their food, supplementing the menu with original recipes. This is especially true in autumn and winter when the list of available products becomes more limited.
Why people lose weight on keto recipes
Keto recipes support ketosis by minimizing carbs. The body stops receiving glucose from the outside and begins to produce ketones, provoking the burning of subcutaneous fat. Thanks to this, the diet allows you to lose weight, even if the low-carb menu includes dishes from the festive table.
What does 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbohydrate mean?
The classic version of the ketogenic diet involves eating about 70% fat and no more than 10% carbohydrates. The rest is protein. But such a ratio of BJU does not at all imply that a person who is losing weight needs to overeat on fatty foods.
Consider calories to calculate your daily allowance:
- in 1 g of fat – 9 kcal;
- in 1 g of protein and carbohydrate – 4 kcal each.
For example, with a keto menu for 2000 kcal, 70% will be 1400 kcal or 1400/9 = 156 g of fat. In a similar way, you can calculate the amount of other nutrients:
- b. – 2000 * 20% \u003d 400 kcal or 100 g;
- y. – 2000 * 10% = 200 kcal or 50 g.
How many carbs per day can you go on keto
The classic diet involves a restriction in the range from 20 to 50 g. The optimal number is selected taking into account:
- sex and age;
- stress resistance;
- individual characteristics of the body.
A less strict limit and recipes with calculated BJU are relevant for beginners, as they facilitate adaptation. Also, when counting on keto, only clean “coals” matter. You can calculate them using the basic formula: “total carbohydrates minus fiber.”
How to read the label and count carbohydrates?
On the label of most products, the average BJU values \u200b\u200bare already indicated. But carbs include fiber and other non-digestible nutrients that are ignored on keto. Refer to the Nutrition Facts chart on the label for the serving sizes for proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. On domestic products, the composition per 100 grams of the product is often indicated. If the composition is indicated for one serving, then the weight or size of this serving is indicated.
So for the diet, the calculations are done independently:
- the ingredients used are weighed separately;
- for each product, BJU is calculated taking into account weight;
- the results obtained are summed up.
To convert to 100 g or a serving, you will need to know the weight of the dish before and after cooking. Special applications and online calculators will help facilitate the calculation. In addition, many recipes for the keto diet often contain macros – information about the KBJU of the finished dish.
List of staples that make up keto recipes
Keto recipes use low carb foods:
- Sources of healthy fats include fatty fish, vegetable oils, and nuts.
- The lack of vitamins is compensated by the use of vegetables, as well as certain types of berries and fruits.
- Protein comes from food of animal origin – poultry, fish or meat. The alternative is cottage cheese.
The basis of the diet is the consumption of large amounts of fat. Therefore, from simple and affordable products on keto, they distinguish:
- butter and coconut oil;
- natural cocoa;
- vegetable milk;
- poultry and eggs;
- fat sour cream and cream, cheese;
- meat and fish;
- psyllium and sweeteners;
- low-carb vegetables, fruits and berries;
- nuts and products prepared on their basis – flour, pasta, etc.
Preparations for the winter are acceptable only if the marinade does not contain sugar. A similar requirement applies to any sauces and drinks. More complete keto food tables can be found here .
Easy Keto Recipes for Beginners
A beginner is unlikely to want to mess around with recipes that involve rare ingredients or complex dishes. For beginners, a list of simple recipes for every day is more suitable. So cooked will not be a reason for disappointment in keto.
Chia seed pudding is a versatile and easy breakfast. For this recipe you will need:
- 0.5 cups of milk;
- 2 tbsp. l. chia seeds;
- sweetener and vanillin – to taste.
Washed seeds are poured with milk in the evening and put in the refrigerator. Add sweetener or vanilla if desired. During the night, chia swells, acquiring a viscous consistency. With a minimum of carbohydrates, such a breakfast is rich in fiber and nutrients.
The second option involves pancakes. They will need:
- 200 g of cottage cheese;
- 4 eggs;
- 50 g butter;
- 1 st. l. psyllium.
- Combine eggs with cottage cheese and psyllium. Mix the mixture until a homogeneous mass is formed. It is advisable to leave the dough for a few minutes so that it becomes thicker.
- Put the oil on the heated skillet. And as soon as it melts, we begin to make pancakes. It is enough to fry them on each side for 2-4 minutes.
Toppings are keto syrup, sour cream or heavy cream, as well as fresh berries or keto friendly nuts.
For beginners, recipes for simple, but satisfying keto salads are suitable. To prepare one of these you will need:
- 4 boiled eggs;
- 1 avocado;
- 4 slices of fried bacon;
- 0.25 cup finely chopped green onions;
- 3-4 st. l. fat sour cream;
- 1 tsp lemon juice;
- pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste.
Eggs should be peeled and mashed with a fork. Add diced avocado and bacon, lemon juice, herbs, garlic and spices. Stir, and then season with sour cream. Egg salad is designed for 2 servings, each serving no more than 6 g of net carbohydrates.
For lunch or dinner, you can also make an unusual keto vegetarian “risotto”, which can also be used as a side dish with any meat or fish.
- 400 g of cauliflower inflorescences, crushed into crumbs;
- 250 ml chicken or meat broth;
- 200 g pumpkin;
- 60 g of champignons;
- 50 ml cream;
- 30 g grated parmesan;
- salt, garlic and other spices – to taste.
- Cut the pumpkin into small cubes and send it to the oven preheated to 180 ° C for 15-30 minutes. Boil the prepared cabbage by dropping the grains of inflorescences in boiling water for 2-5 minutes.
- Take 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chop and fry for a few seconds. Add cauliflower and remaining spices, salt. Saute for about 2 minutes before adding the broth to the garnish. Leave it to evaporate, stirring occasionally.
- Mushrooms need to be fried separately, after cleaning and cutting. Combine them with pumpkin and cream, and then add some grated cheese. Stir.
- Spread the pumpkin-mushroom mixture over the cauliflower “rice”. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
100 g of the dish contains 146 kcal. BJU:
- proteins – 7.5 g
- fats – 8.5 g
- carbohydrates – 12 g
- fiber – 3.1 g
- net carbohydrates – 9 g
Suitable for dinner:
- green salads;
- zucchini puree;
- string beans, etc.
The basic recipe is an analogue of rice. Ingredients:
- 600 g of cauliflower;
- 50 g butter;
- salt and pepper – optional.
The head of cabbage is broken into inflorescences, each of which is crushed into large crumbs. The prepared “groats” are boiled in salted water, and then seasoned with butter. As a result, only 5.4 g of carbohydrates come out per 100 g. And half of them are fiber.
The best addition to a vegetable side dish would be baked poultry, meat or fish. And so that the dish does not seem bland, season it with homemade mayonnaise or pesto sauce. To prepare the latter you will need:
- 2 cups chopped fresh basil leaves;
- 0.5 cups of olive oil;
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan;
- 1/3 cup pine nuts;
- garlic, salt and pepper – to taste.
The ingredients are mixed and ground with a blender until a homogeneous paste is obtained. Spices are added last. Such a sauce contains no more than 2 g of carbohydrates, as well as 7 g of protein and 16 g of fat.
Suitable basic snacks:
- nuts and nut butters;
- boiled eggs, including stuffed egg halves;
- cottage cheese with cream or yogurt;
- high-quality cheeses and sausages of fatty varieties;
- fat bombs ;
- gozinaki without sugar, etc.
You can bake parmesan slices to get a cheesy version of chips. They are good on their own, and can also serve as a substrate for a variety of fillings – from mascarpone to liver pate.
You can replace the usual sandwich with cabbage or lettuce leaves. Use them as a base for avocado slices or finely chopped vegetables, as well as bacon, meat or cheese.
The simplest keto treat is made by whisking mascarpone. If desired, cheese cream can be added:
- natural cocoa;
- coconut flakes;
- fresh berries or permitted fruits.
Variations of sweet breakfasts – desserts in the format of curd soufflé and cheesecakes. No less affordable is the Bounty low-carb candy recipe. For them you will need:
- 60 g coconut flakes;
- 60 ml coconut or heavy cream;
- 50 g sweetener;
- dark chocolate without added sugar.
- Mix coconut ingredients with sweetener. Send the base to the refrigerator, so it will acquire a homogeneous and thick consistency.
- While the base is cooling, melt the chocolate. Sweets are formed in a silicone mold or in ice molds lubricated with vegetable oil. But do not fill the cells completely – leave a few millimeters from the edge and fill the filling with glaze. And when the chocolate hardens, carefully turn the Bounty over and repeat the procedure.
100 g of this dessert contains about 10-14 g of carbohydrates and 3-4 g of fiber. In this case, the weight of one candy does not exceed 30 g.
Top keto recipes for advanced
The selection is aimed at those who love cooking and are thinking about what to cook on a keto diet. I picked up a few dishes and preparations that delight me from time to time. All recipes with calculated BJU and can be used as part of many dishes. Most of them are close to traditional counterparts, and some even surpass them. Original and very tasty dishes are suitable not only for weight loss, but also for a festive table.
Crust – the basis for keto cauliflower pizza
The dough is made quickly and, most importantly, does not contain flour. The recipe is for 6 servings, and for cooking you will need:
- 1 medium head of cauliflower;
- 100 g of hard Mozzarella cheese;
- 50 g parmesan or any hard cheese;
- 1 egg;
- granulated garlic and oregano to taste.
- Mix in grated cheese. Frozen cabbage should be thawed first. Fresh fresh is enough to disassemble it into inflorescences and finely chop, and then heat it up with a microwave. It takes 4-5 minutes for the cabbage to become soft.
- Remove excess water from cabbage, add spices and cheeses. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Transfer the dough onto parchment paper. Bake for about 10 minutes at 180°C. You should get a golden crust or pizza crust.
- Ready-made cake can be used immediately for making pizza, or you can freeze and use for the future.
- When cooking pizza, grease the crust with tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese, add your favorite toppings, and then bake in a preheated oven at maximum power for about 3-5 minutes for a fresh crust and about 10-12 minutes for a frozen one.
Nutritional information per serving:
- calories – 210 kcal
- proteins – 19.2 g
- fats – 11.4 g
- carbohydrates – 6.5 g
- fiber – 2.7 g
- net carbohydrates – 3.8 g
Keto pie crust
This recipe will make a low carb birthday cake. You can use any filling: cheese-egg, cabbage, meat, berry, cottage cheese and so on. Instead of wheat flour, almond flour is used, but the taste of the cakes cannot be distinguished from the original.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 1.25 cups almond flour;
- 3 art. l. butter
- 2 tbsp. l. coconut flour;
- 1 large and lightly beaten egg;
- 0.25 cups of cream cheese;
- 0.5 tsp xanthan gum;
- 0.25 tsp salt;
- Mix flour, xanthan gum and salt. Add cream cheese with butter and start kneading until a homogeneous dough forms. Roll the base into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chilled dough and place between 2 sheets of parchment. Roll out carefully. Give the workpiece the desired size and cool for half an hour.
- Before baking, the cake can be greased with an egg mixture. And if you plan to make the base for the pie, pierce the dough with a fork in several places. So bubbles will not appear on its surface.
- Bake at 218°C for about 10 minutes. Then cover the workpiece with a lid or a strip of foil and return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes. Watch the cake carefully – almond flour dough burns easily.
Nutritional information per serving:
- calories – 162 kcal
- proteins – 5 g
- fats – 14.5 g
- carbohydrates – 4 g
- fiber – 2.8 g
- net carbohydrates – 1.2 g
Cheesy keto spaghetti
Keto dish fully replaces Italian pasta. This will require only 2 components:
- hard mozzarella – 200-225 g;
- 1 large egg yolk – about 20 g
- Chop the cheese and transfer it to a suitable bowl. Place in the microwave for 60 seconds and mix thoroughly. If the mozzarella has not melted, reheat it again.
- Add the yolk when the cheese has cooled slightly. Mix the mass until smooth.
- Place the dough between a couple of sheets of parchment paper and roll out gently. It is desirable that the thickness of the workpiece is about 30 mm. After that, the top layer of paper is removed, and the dough is cut into thin strips and put in the refrigerator for 6-12 hours.
- Boil water without adding salt. Transfer the dough to the pan and cook for 30 to 60 minutes. It is extremely important not to overdry the dough in water, otherwise the spaghetti will lose its shape.
- Ready pasta is washed with cold water, separating sticky strips. As the mozzarella cools, it will harden, approaching pasta in appearance and taste.
Nutritional value per 100 g of spaghetti:
- calories – 287 kcal
- proteins – 26.5 g
- fats – 18.4 g
- carbohydrates – 3.1 g
- fiber – 0 g
- net carbohydrates – 3.1 g
The most fluffy keto buns
The diet excludes pastries, but allows keto bread. Fragrant buns can be used for sandwiches or hamburgers.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 150 g almond flour;
- 40 g of psyllium;
- 3 egg whites;
- 10 g baking powder for dough;
- 10 g apple cider vinegar;
- salt, flax seeds or sesame seeds – to taste.
- Combine flour and dry ingredients. Dilute the vinegar with hot water, pour into the mixture and stir. Add protein and beat with a blender until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Form buns and transfer them to a baking sheet, decorating with flaxseeds on top. Bake at 175°C for 50-60 minutes.
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- calories – 299 kcal
- proteins – 15.8 g
- fats – 26 g
- carbohydrates – 1.6 g
- fiber – 1.3 g
- net carbohydrates – 0.3 g
The best keto cupcake
Low carb keto blueberry muffins are the best option for dessert or a snack. And if you use allulose, then the muffin is indistinguishable from the usual baking.
- 800 g of cottage cheese;
- 4 eggs;
- 7 art. l. sweetener;
- 0.5 cup blueberries;
- 2-4 st. l. yogurt;
- lemon zest – to taste.
- Separate the protein and pour into a non-metallic bowl. Beat until a dense foam forms.
- Combine the yolk with the sweetener. Beat them with a blender to get an airy mass. Gently stir in the cottage cheese, and if the latter is too dry, add a little yogurt.
- Keep stirring. When the mass becomes homogeneous, transfer the proteins into it. It is better to use a silicone spatula so that the dough retains an airy texture. At the same stage, berries and lemon zest are added.
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Divide batter between pans and bake for about 1 hour.
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- calories – 161 kcal
- proteins – 16.5 g
- fats – 8.8 g
- carbohydrates – 2.9 g
- fiber – 2.5 g
- net carbohydrates – 0.1 g
Bearnaise sauce from eggs and butter
Low-carb sauces for meat or fish will help diversify the diet. With “Béarnaise” even the most boring dish will acquire savory notes.
- 275 g butter;
- 4 egg yolks;
- 30-50 ml of dry white wine;
- 0.5-1 tsp provencal herbs;
- 0.25 tsp white wine vinegar;
- thyme, tarragon or peppercorns – to taste.
- Add wine and a pinch of salt to the yolks, put the bowl in a water bath and constantly beat thoroughly with a whisk until the mixture begins to thicken a little, but does not curdle.
- Melt the butter. Add it to the yolks in batches, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth, collecting the mass from the edges and not allowing the eggs to curdle.
- Boil the vinegar and stir in the spices. Let sit for a few minutes before adding some of the aromatic liquid to the sauce. Continue whisking in a water bath until the mass becomes like liquid mayonnaise. Add herbs de Provence and salt to taste.
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- calories – 561 kcal
- proteins – 3.4 g
- fats – 59.3 g
- carbohydrates – 1.5 g
- fiber – 0 g
- net carbohydrates – 1.5 g